New Years Eve was a quiet twist compared to our usual activities. I will say it was a welcome change, and one I'll likely repeat in coming years. As usual, we reflected on the night we were engaged which was 12/31/2002. Hard to believe 8 years have passed since that day, and this was our 9th NYE spent together.
We enjoyed a bunch of food and basically relaxed the night away... We actually didn't make it to the champagne, so that will be tonight's treat. Our table decor included the centerpiece from Michelle's wedding, and the candle lighting it inside is from Jeff's wedding.
Patrick's 24 hour marinated steak was huge. I, of course, didn't eat this, but I loved my gnocchi with vodka sauce.
Patrick poured the sauce on in a heart shape for a special touch. :-)
We loved the yummy wine Jeff sent us with our Christmas package.
It went great with the cheese, olives, and other munchies.
Especially dessert!
Even the bassets enjoyed some steak and gnocchi!
Today we are all rather lazy and haven't even left the house - very unlike us. It's definitely the time where we pause and realize our vacation is winding down. I will say the past 11 days have been fabulous. While we didn't do much, it was so nice to have the time to recharge our batteries. Now I can begin a new year and focus on my new job without feeling completely run down.
I have a few resolutions for the new year:
1. Pay off some debt. I have about $2600 in debt that I can realistically pay off (unlike our student loans, for example, which will never be paid off). This will free up almost $200 a month. I could use that extra money.
2. Try to give my worries the "Will this matter in..." test. If it won't matter in a month, a year, five years, I will try and table my anxiety to the best of my ability.
3. Be a better wife. Patrick always deserves that from me.
4. Losing weight is a lifelong battle, but I've just got to mention it. :-) Specifically, I'm going to try and increase the yoga and walking.
We had a great night last night. Cept my tummy ache from bad choices from the night before. Everything was great and I am still trying to think of who we forgot to invite with all that food!
ReplyDeleteAs for resolutions, just trying to be a better husband, son to my family and in-law to your family as well as a brother to my siblings is all I feel is important. Every day will be a challenge and a step in the direction of making our lives together. Love you always and I will never forget the engagement night! How I almost gave you the ring early for being mad at me for giving you the acting part (part of my distractin) still when the moment came when they called for me to stand up and I said what was from the heart, I never faltered in my moment. Never forget that I will always be there for you.
Your desserts make my mouth water!
ReplyDeleteWe're also planning on paying off debt this year. A friend of mine highly recommends The Debt Diet by Dave Ramsey. I haven't read the book, but I'm taking some of her suggestions, like putting money in envelopes each month for groceries and eating out. We're also doing an envelop for gas for Joe (it's just easier for me to pay with my card at the pump). We sat down and mapped out our budget and I am determined to stick to it this year!
I think you need to add "spending more time with Wendy and Joe" to your resolutions. :)
Spending more time with Wendy and Joe is not a resolution since that always runs the risk of not being kept. Spending more time with you guys is a definite. :-) Can't wait to see you all soon, I hope!
ReplyDeleteI love the ideas of envelopes - especially for dining out - which is sadly our biggest recreational expense!
Thanks Wendy - I'm a big fan of dumping things into a trifle bowl, lol